About PillCam COLON
PillCam COLON, a form of capsule endoscopy, is based on PillCam technology developed more than a decade ago with more than 2 million people using this technology worldwide. Of these procedures, 1.5 million used the small bowel PillCam, which has been available since 2001 and more than 15,000 have used PillCam COLON.
PillCam COLON is the only minimally invasive tool offering direct visualization of the entire colon mucosa, providing a safe and accurate alternative that is complementary to colonoscopy for patients who have refused to undergo invasive colon exams or who are at higher risk of complications from a colon exam due to potential bleeding complications, sedation concerns, or other risk factors.
It is also a convenient procedure requiring no sedation or physician supervision shortly after capsule ingestion as the wireless camera capsule travels naturally through the gastrointestinal tract. As a result, PillCam COLON overcomes many frequently cited objections to other modalities, enhancing patient compliance.
PillCam COLON can be used for:
- Diagnosis in patients who are exhibiting symptoms such as diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, or bleeding
- Screening of early-stage colorectal cancers and polyps with a full and complete view of the colon
- Monitoring pre-existing conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), with minimal risk and invasiveness
PillCam COLON 2 has been shown to offer sensitivity comparable to colonoscopy for detecting polypoid lesions and colorectal polyps.
“These rates are higher than the 50% cutoff for sensitivity that has been adopted by the American Cancer Society to define a test acceptable for screening purposes, and are comparable or superior to those of other noninvasive screening tests.”
– 2012 European Society GE Colon Capsule Endoscopy Guidelines3
The full ESGE Colon Capsule Endoscopy Guidelines are available for review to provide more clinical information.
Learn more about how PillCam COLON compares with other colon exams with our interactive comparison tool and find answers to frequently asked questions. You can also download a patient brochure or request additional information.
Contraindications for PillCam COLON include:
- Patients with known or suspected GI obstruction, strictures, or fistulas based on the clinical picture or pre-procedure testing and profile.
- Patients with cardiac pacemakers or other implanted electro-medical devices.
- Patients with swallowing disorders.
1 Spada C et al, Second Generation PillCam COLON Capsule Compared with Colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2011;74(3):581-589.
2 Eliakim R et al, Prospective Multicenter Performance evaluation of the Second GenEliakim R et al, Prospective Multicenter Performance Evaluation of the Second Generation Capsule Compared with Colonoscopy. Endoscopy 2009;41:1026-1031.
3 Spada C et al, Colon capsule endoscopy: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy 2012; DOI: 10.1055/s-0031-1291717.